What is Microsoft Power BI?
Microsoft Power BI is a cloud-based business intelligence and analytics platform that provides data visualization, data modeling, and collaboration capabilities. It was designed to help organizations gain insights into their data and make more informed decisions. Some of the key features and benefits of Power BI include:
- Data Visualization: Power BI provides a range of data visualization options, including interactive dashboards, charts, and reports. The tool allows users to easily visualize and explore large and complex datasets to identify patterns, trends, and insights.
- Data Connectivity: Power BI integrates with a wide range of data sources, including cloud-based and on-premises databases, as well as Excel spreadsheets, making it easy to connect to the data you need.
- Collaboration: Power BI allows multiple users to collaborate and share insights in real-time, making it easy to work with teams and stakeholders on data-driven projects.
- Mobile Access: Power BI provides mobile apps for iOS and Android devices, allowing users to access data and insights on the go.
- Integration with other Microsoft Tools: Power BI integrates with other Microsoft tools, including Excel, SharePoint, and Azure, making it easy to use the data and insights generated by Power BI in other parts of your organization.
Overall, Power BI is a powerful and flexible business intelligence and analytics platform that provides a range of features and capabilities for data visualization, data modeling, and collaboration. It is well-suited for organizations of all sizes and industries that need to make data-driven decisions and gain insights into their data.
Power BI was originally designed by Ron George in the summer of 2010 and named Project Crescent. Project Crescent was initially available for public download on 11 July 2011, bundled with SQL Server Codename Denali. Later renamed Power BI it was then unveiled by Microsoft in September 2013 as Power BI for Office 365.